Lenny Mirra spent over 30 years in the private sector as a construction executive, entrepreneur, and small businessman. He understands that in order to get the job done, you have to be 100% committed to the task at hand. That’s why he does not take his role as State Representative as a part-time job or a hobby; he is committed to working for our community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Lenny takes no money from special interest groups, and he has never missed a vote during his time in office.
Lenny knows that government is never the most efficient way to solve a problem, but he is committed to making the governing process on Beacon Hill just a little more service-oriented. That is why Lenny supports term-limits for legislators and a full-scale Ethics reform.
Politics is toxic. Too often, individuals on both sides of the political aisle resort to personal attacks instead of having an open, honest conversation about the issues. As our State Representative, Lenny has always tried to bring people together to establish common ground and tackle the issues that face our community. In fact, Lenny joined an organization called Braver Angels to help bring people on different sides of political issues to the table to discuss real reforms.
In the wake of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, Lenny brought together members of Moms Demand Action, a pro-gun control organization, as well as local gun owners (himself included) to establish a Gun Violence Working group. This group expanded into a student group, where Rep. Mirra brought students from the district’s four high schools to discuss ways to end gun violence. Since then, Rep. Mirra has supported new gun laws that work to limit the lawless shootings that occur all too often.
After the brutal murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, MN, Lenny understood that the time for words was over. He committed himself to working on behalf of our community to find solutions to police brutality, police training and education, and systemic racism. That is why he brought together religious leaders, members of the NAACP, police leaders, and concerned citizens to put words into action. Representative Mirra intends to support police reform efforts on Beacon Hill.
Despite a broken national politics, Representative Mirra brings this collaborative approach to his work every day. As a legislator, he will always bring a positive attitude and a willingness to listen. Representative Mirra is committed to being a bridge-builder.
CREATING JOBS + COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Small businesses and local businesses are the lifeblood of our community. Not only do they create hundreds of jobs across our district, they are a testament to the hard work it takes to build a business. As a small businessman, Lenny Mirra knows that building a business is tough, requires long hours, and oftentimes some trial and error. As the ranking member of the Committee on Community Development and Small Business, Representative Mirra will always look out for local businesses and entrepreneurs. Since taking office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Increased funding for cultural councils, including funds for our towns, to enrich our communities through arts, science, and the humanities
- Increased funding for the North Shore Visitors Bureau to promote local tourism
- Multi-million dollar bond bill to support the expansion of the state’s life science industry
- Authorized money for the MassWorks infrastructure program
- Fighting for local businesses to remain competitive on the Committee for Community Development and Small Business
The number one investment that any community can make is in education. Ensuring that our district’s schools are high-quality and well-supported is a number one priority for Representative Mirra. We are blessed to have quality students and educators in every community of the Second Essex District, and Lenny Mirra will always be their number one advocate. Since taking office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Established a gun violence working group with local students to discuss common-sense gun reforms that can be taken in order to limit gun violence, particularly in our schools
- Fought for $12.5 Million for special education funding in local school districts
- Worked with a bipartisan group to secure regional school transportation funding
- Secured an increase in Chapter 70 funding for our local schools
- Leading the charge to fund the recommendations of the Foundation Review Commission
- Working to ensure full funding of special education circuit breaker law
A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT
The Second Essex District is blessed to have seven beautiful towns — all of whom possess a unique natural beauty. As your State Representative, Lenny Mirra has worked tirelessly to make sure that we have clean air, clean water, and a responsible set of environmental standards. Our beautiful rivers, forests, and coastline must always be protected. Since taking office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Worked with the legislature and community groups to secure funding for open space preservation
- Secured $200,000 in grants to trap invasive green crabs and repair damage to the Great Marsh and our clam flats
- Worked to stop the dumping of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) from being dumped in the Merrimack River
- Worked on bill to modernize community communications in times where there is Combined Sewer Overflow in the Merrimack River
- Supported Solar Net Metering Bill to increase the State’s net metering cap
- Worked on Energy Diversity Bill – diversifying the Commonwealth’s energy portfolio
Having worked in the construction industry for over 30 years, Lenny knows the importance of having strong roads, bridges, and facilities. Lenny is committed to re-investing in our district’s infrastructure in ways that are fiscally responsible and environmentally sustainable. While in office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Increased Chapter 90 funding for our roads
- Worked on the Planning for Water Infrastructure Upgrade grant
- Secured MVP grant
- Fought for $50,000 for feasibility study of purchasing a dredge for the north shore
- Saved $20 Million in savings for our district’s property taxpayers
HEALTH AND PUBLIC SAFETY
One of the most important responsibilities of an elected official is ensuring the health and public safety of everyone. Whether it is battling a pandemic like COVID-19, working to end gun violence, working to end police brutality, or making sure that every citizen is safe in their own home, Lenny Mirra will always prioritize everyone’s health and safety. Since taking office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Worked on Criminal justice reform bill that expedited DNA sampling and strengthens penalties for trafficking Fentanyl and Carfentinil
- Increased funding for opioid reforms in the midst of the opioid epidemic
- Banned bump stocks to prevent firearms modifications to increase firing rate
- Secured SAFE grants to promote fire safety
- Passed PATCH bill to promote patient privacy
- Supported Pregnancy Act to provide reasonable employer accommodations for pregnant employees
OUR SENIORS AND VETERANS
Senior citizens are more than just another “category” of individuals, they are our grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, and mentors. As State Representative, Lenny Mirra has, and will continue, to advocate for these valued members of our community. Further, Lenny will always be an advocate for our Veterans. We owe a debt of gratitude to those who fought for our freedom, and Representative Mirra will always fight for the needs of our veterans. Since taking office, Lenny has accomplished the following:
- Supported The Home Act that gives veterans public housing preference
- Helped pass The Valor Act
- Worked to pass the The Welcome Home Bill
- Fully Funded Seniors’ Circuit Breaker Law
- Increased funding for Council on Aging grants