The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles sent out a PSA regarding unofficial registry website. Please see the information below and be cautious when navigating the web.
The official MassDOT RMV website is Mass.gov/RMV and is the only site that should be used when trying to renew a license or registration, schedule a road test, or process any transaction online.
Customers may inadvertently come across unofficial third-party websites or “mimic sites” that advertise similar services but have no affiliation with the RMV.
You can use the helpful hints listed below to determine whether the website you are using is the official site for the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.
- Massachusetts uses the abbreviation “RMV.” Any website using the phrase “Department of Motor Vehicles” or “DMV” should be avoided.
- Make sure the Commonwealth’s seal is located somewhere on the page. This will help ensure that it is an official government website. If it cannot be found, customers should leave the site immediately.
- The Registry will never charge a customer to check the status of a license, registration, or title. If the site requires payment to access this information, it is an unsecured mimic site.
- At Mass.gov/RMV, a customer will never be charged to access Registry forms and information, but unofficial third-party sites may charge for this service. Their information is also not guaranteed to be accurate.
- The Registry never charges for address changes. If a customer uses a mimic site, the change cannot be guaranteed to have actually gone through.
Any information on these third-party websites may not be accurate, and any details or payments that customers submit may not be secure. The RMV is not responsible for the content or actions taken by these sites. For more information on the dangers of third-party services, visit the Mass.gov/RMV.
If you have additional questions, contact the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulationby calling the Consumer Hotline at (617) 973-8787, or toll-free in MA at (888) 283-3757 Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m., to 4:30 p.m.
For the latest Registry updates and information, follow the RMV on Twitter @MassRMV.